Saturday, January 3, 2015


Self-Focused Continual Learning: Keeping Your ‘Edge’ as a Six Sigma/Process Improvement Professional

      As I write this PIP, it is January 3rd, 2015.  Like many of you, I make New Years’ resolutions and I’ll achieve some but may come up short in others.  When the end of this December rolls around though, I will have improved myself in many areas with professional development being one of them.  With that in mind, I’d like to share with you some areas where six sigma and process improvement professionals can focus on to further or fine tune their skills.

      First is applied statistics which is a key tool and knowledge area for any six sigma belt level.  For many of us, statistics was challenging to learn and the ease with which we learned was in direct proportion to the effectiveness of our teacher/professor.  Recently I got my hands on three basic statistics books with simple, even humorous approaches.  I intend to read them and incorporate as appropriate their approach to teaching.

      Second is project management an area where a number of process improvement projects I’ve been involved with were lacking.  Right now, I’m going through DVDs, CDs, and books to prepare for the PMI PMP exam.  I see a lot of information in the PMBOK which we should use on our projects.  Even if you are a PMP you might want to pull out the latest PMBOK book and go through it again for ideas.

      Finally is to review the basics of six sigma.  I obtained both my LSSBB and LSSMBB certifications through the University Alliance/Villanova University.  Both courses supplied printed material and CDs with the course lectures in video format.  Over the course of this year, I will go through each one of them again.

      To conclude, I’d like to remind everyone of something I heard earlier in my career around professional athlete skills.  When those professionals need to improve their game, do they seek new techniques?  Occasionally yes but more often they work over and over relentlessly on the fundamentals.  Daily batting practice for baseball players and foul shots for basketball players among others.  In your profession, you are no different than they are.

No comments: